[mythtv-users] Instant SegFault Mythbackend SVN 8626

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Tue Jan 17 17:46:06 UTC 2006

Some detective help needed.

After running into compilation problems producing an 'unknown symbol'
error  with myth svn's which I traced to something wrong with my libc, I
ended up doing a full 'blow-it-all-away' and bare metal re-install of
FC4 on my VIA SP13000, on Sunday.  (My installing myth 18.1 over svn,
and then attempting to remove things made any other course of action a
non-starter. I saved only mythconverg and the mysql databases and few
other bits.
After installing the 2.6.11 kernel I did a full smart update/upgrade
which took 591 Meg of downloaded. The Xorg is a 6.6.99-903 rpm from
kelkoo.net to include all of the via xvmc/dri goodies....All this took
some time as the SP130000 is not a speedster. The kernel is now
2.6.14-1.1656_FC4. A quick 'cp' and mysql was back too.

Then I downloaded svn 8626. I did a make distclean, configure, make and
make install cycle for myththemes, mythplugins and mythtv.
Mythfrontend comes up perfectly, as does mythtv-setup. Dmesg and
Xorg.0.log report exactly what I expect to see for the PVR500 and HD3000
cards.

BUT
Mythbackend fails instantly without any error messages (even with
mythbackend -v all). I cannot find any other log file messages.

None, nada, zilch.... I did the compile cycle again but no joy.

I am at a complete loss to  understand what might be going wrong. I
looked at the make output while mythbackend was compiling, but, except
for the usual and longstanding warning about non-virtual destructors
from qt, there was nothing noticeable. Any other ideas on where to look?

HELP!  My mythtv has fallen and cannot get up!

Geoff