[mythtv-users] Lost sound on EPIA SP -- how to diagnose?

Ole Sandum mythtv at sandum.net
Mon Jan 16 22:03:43 UTC 2006

Hello everybody,

It seems everyone else's problems here are far more exotic, but I am out
of things to try and going desperate. So here goes:

Just to try it out, I built a pilot FE/BE combo with FC4 on a VIA EPIA
SP8000 a couple of months ago. It was running nicely, but was begging
for faster hardware and more storage. So over christmas, I got myself a
nice Athlon 64-based box full of slots and drives to put the BE on. Hit
a couple of bumps on the way, but has it running nicely now using the
pure 64-bit packages from "atrpms-testing", mythfilling program guides
and recording everything in sight. Sweet. Thank you Axel, thank you
Jarod, and thank you everone else contributing.

Now to the problem: somewhere along the way I lost the sound on the EPIA
and I can't get it back. It's just plain analog stereo out to the TV
set, so nothing fancy, but I don't know how to diagnose it. I've tried
un-/reinstall the alsa-{drivers,lib,utils} packages, skimming log files
for messages, but everything seems normal. Except the output remains
silent. I suppose this happened as a result of updating packages, but
since the original installaion was done months ago, I don't have a
precise recollection of what was installed/updated when.

So please, any hints for places to look, stuff to read, or things to try
out will be most welcome.

tia

regards,
/Ole