[mythtv-users] Is satellite/cable HDTV possible w/ MythTV, or alternatives?

Robert Johnston anaerin at gmail.com
Mon Jan 16 04:23:41 UTC 2006

On 1/15/06, Chris Ribe <chrisribe at gmail.com> wrote:
> >  HDMI/DVI/Component in? I mean, seriously, is
> >  it that hard (That's a serious question, not rhetorical)? As I
> >  understand it, the signal is still a digital stream. Is the stream
> >  not compressed, thus requiring the card to recompress it?
>
>  HDMI and DVI-D are copy protected.  Component is impractically high
> bandwidth analog.

DVI-D and HDMI are *NOT* copy protected. Yet. They are too high a
bandwidth to cope with encoding at the moment, however. HDCP is the
(Proposed) system for copy-protecting content over a HDMI link, but as
of yet there is no manufacturer who has added support (As to do so
would break support for current equipment), and Windows Vista is the
only software system known of so far to support it, which is not even
out of beta yet.
--
Robert "Anaerin" Johnston