[mythtv-users] install ivtv-0.5.1 fails with ivtv: disagrees about version of symbol tveeprom_hauppauge_analog (make distclean doesn't help)

Al McIntosh junkmail at allanmcintosh.com
Sat Jan 14 05:15:15 UTC 2006

mrwester wrote:

> Hi all-
>
> I'm having some trouble getting ivtv-0.5.1 installed.  I've followed
> the directions in the ivtvdriver.org <http://ivtvdriver.org> howto,
> and I've  and tried  cd ivtv/v4l-kernel; make distclean as suggested
> in the troubleshooting.  Is there something more to that?  I've also
> tried  make distclean; make; make install.  I have no problems
> installing 0.4.1, but am looking to move to 0.5.1 in hopes of getting
> my 3 PVR-XXX tuners playing nice with a DVB card (DViCO FusionHDTV 5
> lite).  With 0.4.1, I can get the ivtv working OR the DVB but not
> both.  So I've stepped back and would just like to get 0.5.1 working
> first, and then add the DVB card.
>
> Any suggestions what I'm doing wrong with 0.5.1?  Fresh FC4 install,
> with all updates from atrpms.net <http://atrpms.net>.
>
> Jan 13 20:39:24 localhost kernel: Linux video capture interface: v1.00
> Jan 13 20:39:24 localhost kernel: ivtv: disagrees about version of
> symbol tveeprom_hauppauge_analog
> Jan 13 20:39:24 localhost kernel: ivtv: Unknown symbol
> tveeprom_hauppauge_analog

Try using the kernels tveeprom and tuner instead of the ones installed
by ivtv.

cd /lib/modules/`uname -r`/ivtv/
mv tveeprom.ko tveeprom.ko.HIDE
mv tuner.ko tuner.ko.HIDE

This will force modprobe to load the ones in here:
/lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel/drivers/media/video/tuner.ko
/lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel/drivers/media/video/tveeprom.ko

After you rename the modules run `depmod -a` this should load cleanly.
For some reason the ivtv modules load the bttv modules too.

All I have in modprobe.conf for ivtv is:

#ivtv
alias char-major-61 lirc_i2c
alias char-major-81 ivtv
alias char-major-81-0 ivtv
install lirc_i2c /sbin/modprobe ivtv; /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install
lirc_i2c