[mythtv-users] Sound drops out during HDTV programming

Matthew Schiller mschiller at alum.mit.edu
Fri Jan 13 23:54:35 UTC 2006

I've been having a problem pretty consistently with sound starting ok,
and then dropping out 10-20 minutes into the program, the problem seems
to occur mostly on my local CBS affiliate [WTVH, Syracuse, NY OTA].

Sometimes when this occurs I see the video stream get corrupted at about
the same time but that doesn't always happen.  When this occurs the
video keeps playing, but the sound is dead through the rest of the
program.  While less frequent this sometimes starts at the beginning of
the program, so I get  a program with no audio at all.

I occasionally get a clean record on CBS and I have yet to have this
happen on my local PBS affiliate.  I have had this happen on live tv as
well, but the problem goes away if I stop and restart livetv.  But
that's a little hard to do on a recorded program.

I am running Fedora Core 4 with MythTv 0.18.1.  Using a PCHDTV 3000 card
on an Athlon64 based Nforce3 motherboard [running in x86 mode]. Video
card is FX5200 and sound is via standard 2-ch analog output [digital to
be connected someday....]

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Matthew Schiller