[mythtv-users] cut commercials only, no transcoding

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Fri Jan 13 21:32:48 UTC 2006

Cory Papenfuss wrote:

>>I need to save some space on my l'ill old drive but I am running a
>>pretty slow system (PIII-450, with a PVR350 doing all the heavy
>>lifting).  can't play dvd's on this system, for instance.  So I don't
>>think that transcoding will work well with this CPU.  Is it possible
>>instead just to cut comercials automatically?  that would at least
>>save me some space on the (relatively few) recordings we make on
>>commercial TV.
>>
>It's currently a very active bit of development... lossless MPEG2
>cutting.  It's not in the releases, and the development has bugs that are
>being squashed.  Not ready for prime time yet as I understand it.

But nothing is stopping you from cutting manually (with something like
avidemux2) and replacing the recording.  Just make sure that once you
replace the file, you rebuild the seektable with:

mythcommflag --rebuild -f <filename>

Oh, and test early (before replacing) because of the possibility of A/V
sync problems...

Mike