[mythtv-users] DVB subtitle ripper?

Piers Kittel mythtv at biased.org
Fri Jan 13 01:30:09 UTC 2006

Hi all,

Still trying to get video recorded off DVB-T in the UK onto DVD while
retaining subtitles, but can't find any MPEG-2 - MPEG-4 compressors that
will retain subtitles (if you know of one, please tell me) and I think
one method to do this is:

1) Rip DVB subtitles from the MPEG-2 stream and put it in a text file
2) Transcode the video to MPEG-4
3) Use Matroska to bind the MPEG-4 video and the subtitle file.

I can do steps 2 and 3, but I can't find any software that will rip DVB
subtitles off the MPEG-2 stream - there has to be as there's a few
players out there that will read and play back DVB subtitles such as
VLC, so there must be a way to use those players to rip the subtitles at
least?

Also, if there's any MPEG-2 - MPEG-2 (DVD) compressors that will convert
DVB subs to DVD subs - let me know too!

Thanks very much for your help in advance!

Cheers - Piers