[mythtv-users] Workaround for WM Focus Issues

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Thu Jan 12 20:59:46 UTC 2006

David Watkins wrote:

>>>I found a fix digging around the net.  There's  a section of Xine source code
>>>that sets the focus to the root window upon exit (event.c line 1814-1819).
>>>The attached patch comments out that section.  Apply to xine-ui-0.99 and
>>>recompile.  This fixed it for me!
>>>
>>For the archives...  I can confirm that this fix works (finally got
>>around to testing it) and, as pointed out by Petr Stehlik in another
>>thread, it's already applied to xine-ui 0.99.4 and above.  So the
>>easiest fix is to upgrade xine.
>>
>Well if you're using KDE then Jarod Wilson has a suggestion in his
>excellent howto
>
>http://wilsonet.com/mythtv/
>
>something to do with the 'focus follows mouse' KDE setting.

Which is how your WM should be configured, but it still didn't work with
affected versions of xine-ui (as it turns out, versions that set focus
to the root window on exit), which was the whole point of the thread.

>Now I'm using the ratpoison window manager with mythtv and Xine, and
>have never had a problem with window focus.

Perhaps because some kind packager patched your version of xine (had you
not trimmed the attributions, you would be able to notice that this fix
was pointed out a year ago, today*--like I said, "For the
archives..."--and it's quite probable that some packagers knew of a fix
before Mike Ford pointed out a fix on /this/ list--especially
considering he found his fix elsewhere on the 'net).  Using ratpoison
and xine-ui without the patch, I still saw the problem.  And, since
there's no reason not to upgrade to xine-ui 0.99.4, workarounds are no
longer necessary.

Mike

*Note that I got around to testing it 20 hours short of a year.
Unfortunately, testing was low on my priority list because my
workaround--the one posted in the thread--worked and couldn't harm
anything even if the problem didn't exist.