[mythtv-users] MPEG4->MPEG4 transcode?

Niels Dybdahl Niels at Dybdahl.dk
Thu Jan 12 19:18:45 UTC 2006

> I record as MPEG4, flag commercials, then transcode
> to MPEG4 to remove commercials.  The video paramters
> (resolution, bit rate, etc. remain the same).
>
> The output file doesn't seek properly on playback.
>
> Does anyone else transcode MPEG4->MPEG4 for commercial
> removal?  Does it work for you?  What version of myth
> are you using?

I did not have that problem with MythTV 0.16. When I upgraded to MythTV
0.18.1 it also happened to me.
I transcode almost everything automatically to MPEG4 and then when I have
time I cut the head and tails off the shows that I want to archive (I
archive as .NUV and .SQL). That is unfortunately no longer possible.
You can make the file seek again by running mythcommflag on it like you
would do with a broken database, but there will still be pixelation effects
when you seek and the file will be useless for dsmyth and other
applications.
I have written about this earlier but it seems that it is very rare that
people use the MPEG4->MPEG4 "transcoding", so I did not get any responses,
expect for the tips on fixing the database.
But I would really appreciate if somebody is going to look at the problem
now.

Niels Dybdahl