[mythtv-users] Odds of Linux CableCARD support?

Dean Collins Dean at collins.net.pr
Thu Jan 12 13:44:16 UTC 2006

> Cable companies moving channels from basic cable or extended basic to
> digital cable just to force people to rent their underpowered cable
> boxes and pay more per month.
>
> Eventually there will be a "CableCARD Jon" and we'll be in an awkward
> position of having *hardware* that is legal to use under Windows and
> illegal to use under Linux!

Not really, CableLabs have already proposed a new standard for the
Cablecard standard, it's a time wasting scam but pushes back the limits
imposed on them by the FCC.

It was when I was briefed on this new standard that I decided to walk
from the US cable tv market.

I'll be back in 3 years when everything is being delivered via IP.

For those of you that were at CES 2006 you'll have seen that this is
coming both on a large scale and small scale implementations much faster
than anyone thought.

The cabletv industry as we know it in 2005 will be as dead as the telcos
are today, not gone but on the endangered species list, with every day
for them being measured as a good day.

Cheers,

Dean