[mythtv-users] plextor convertx audio trouble

Jason mythtv at lakedaemon.net
Thu Jan 12 05:20:33 UTC 2006

Brian Wood (beww at beww.org) wrote:
> On Jan 11, 2006, at 9:58 PM, Jason wrote:
> > I received my Plextor ConvertX PX-TV402U this afternoon.  Other than
> > needing to force hotplug with 'make install USE_UDEV=n', the install
> > went smoothly. :)
> >
> > Recording with gorecord went well, I can see and hear the file.
> > gorecord reports using /dev/video and /dev/dsp1.
> >
> > I've used mythtv for over two years (well, since 0.7-8ish), never saw
> > anything like this.
> >
> > No matter what I try, mythbackend will only open /dev/sound/dsp.  I
> > set
> > it everywhere to /dev/dsp1, and when I enter setup again, it's
> > changed to
> > /dev/dsp... wtf?  So I went into mythconverg and changed the only
> > value='AudioDevice' I have in settings to /dev/dsp1.  That sticks.
> > Unfortunately, when mythfrontend is running remotely (the only way I
> > ever run it), I get no audio.  An 'lsof | grep myth | grep dsp' yields
> > only one line with mythbackend opening /dev/sound/dsp....
> >
> > So I search the source (0.18.1), I can see some default values set to
> > '/dev/dsp', but I don't see any hard-coded lines.
> >
> > Right now, I'm re-merging (gentoo) mythtv with debugging support.  In
> > the meantime, any ideas?
> >
> If you're not using udev couldn't you just link /dev/dsp to /dev/
> dsp1? or is something else using /dev/dsp? If you use udev a straight
> link wouldn't work (it would get hosed at every boot) but you could
> re-write the rules/permissions to achieve the same thing.

No, I still use udev (plextor's driver can use hotplug (USE_UDEV=n) or
udev (USE_UDEV=y) to initiate to device), and /dev/dsp is my
soundcard...

Remembered this error from the logs:

Starting up as the master server.
VIDIOC_S_CTRL:V4L2_CID_AUDIO_MUTE: Invalid argument

I had tried the v4lctl command from xawtv pkg, but that didn't help...

thx,

Jason.