[mythtv-users] Revised MythTV Subversion ebuilds for Gentoo available

Drew Tomlinson drew at mykitchentable.net
Thu Jan 12 02:14:53 UTC 2006

On 1/11/2006 5:44 PM Scott Alfter wrote:

>Drew Tomlinson wrote:
>

>>On 1/10/2006 9:59 AM Scott Alfter wrote:
>>

>>>The MythTV Subversion ebuild I obtained from Gentoo Bugzilla won't build MythTV
>>>with FireWire support because the dependencies are incorrect/outdated.  I don't
>>>know if someone else has put up an updated ebuild somewhere else already, but
>>>here's what I'm now using:
>>>
>>>http://alfter.us/files/mythtv-svn-ebuilds.tar.bz2
>>>

>>I'm currently running 0.18-r2 from the regular portage tree.  I also
>>have MythDVD, MythGallery, MythWeather, MythMusic, MythWeb, &
>>MythStreamTV plugins installed.  I'd like to try SVN as I've read about
>>lots of nice features.  Do I need to unemerge the old before emerging
>>your mythtv-svn?
>>

>Yes.  You also need to have dev-util/subversion installed to fetch the files
>(but that should be obvious).

Nothing is obvious to me.  :)  I'm glad you pointed that out.

>Another consideration is that once you upgrade, you won't be able to downgrade
>to 0.18 without dumping the database and restoring it from a backup made before
>the upgrade.  (Doing this, of course, will lose any activity since the
>upgrade.)  The behind-the-scenes tools that upgrade the database schema from
>one version to the next are one-way.

Thank you again!  I'll be sure to dump MySQL before I upgrade.

>I've also made another change to the ebuilds.  The MythTV ebuild had an
>override with which you could download and build a particular revision, but the
>various plugins didn't have this capability.  I've pushed that override into
>the mythtv-svn eclass, so your add-ons will come from the same revision.  Add
>MYTHTV_SVN_REVISION=$num to /etc/make.conf and all of the ebuilds will pull
>revision $num.  Leave it out and you'll get whatever is most recent.

This sounds like a nice feature.  Any recommendations for a stable
revision?  I would like the new features but am not skilled enough to
deal with weird breakage.  (I know, then I should just stay with stable
releases...)

Thanks,

Drew

--