[mythtv-users] OS X & MythFrontend 0.18.1 with plugins

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Wed Jan 11 00:20:06 UTC 2006

On Jan 10, 2006, at 7:02 PM, Matt Hannan wrote:

> David Snider wrote:
>> On Jan 9, 2006, at 9:24 PM, Matt Hannan wrote:
>>

>>> Well, sir, you may want to check that build of the frontend. I
>>> downloaded it twice and they both seem borked up.
>>> Are there any other locations to get frontend with the plugins? I'm
>>> looking for 0.18.1 stable.
>>>

>> Hmm..  What happens?  I'm running it right now with no problems on
>> Tiger.   You can check http://www.mythtv.info/moin.cgi/MythOnMacOsx
>> gkruse has a site as well as another gentlemen.    If it really is
>> borked up, let me know what it is doing so that I can either remove
>> it or fix it.

> Well, the straight-up MythFrontend downloads and installs fine.
> But the package from your site did not.
> First of all it did not show the Myth icon, but rather a, I guess,
> default icon.
> I'm downloading it again so I can walk you thru what I am seeing.
>
> HAZAH!
> Someone else is having the same problem.
>
> [quote="Matt Jordan" MythTV w/ Mac OSX Frontend}
> I downloaded two different builds of the MythFrontend for OS X and
> they both start and ask for the language.  After that, they ask for
> the hostname (IP) of the backend, database name and such.  When I
> click "Finish" the program just closes.  There is no indication that
> it crashed, it just quits.[/quote]
>
> I had that, too.
>
> OK, back to the download.
> It shows just a couple pieces of paper, a pen, a pencil and a ruler.
> That is the mounted icon. It does not show the external CD drive
> thing.
> Double-clicking it has it bouncing around in the dock a couple of
> times and then disappearing.
> Firing up Terminal and cding to Desktop shows the file as
> MythFrontend.app.
>
> Any help?
>
> Matt

As much as it pains me to help you after the treatment I received
from you...

The problem is that you aren't able to connect to the MySQL database.
Unfortunately the OS X frontend doesn't fail gracefully in that
situation. However, if you launch it from a terminal, you'll see
error messages.

PBG4:~/Desktop/MythTV/MythFrontend.app/Contents/MacOS bderman$ ~/
Desktop/MythTV/MythFrontend.app/Contents/MacOS/mythfrontend
2006-01-10 19:10:27.666 Using runtime prefix = /Users/bderman/Desktop/
MythTV/MythFrontend.app/Contents/Resources
2006-01-10 19:10:27.677 New DB connection, total: 1
2006-01-10 19:10:28.130 Total desktop dim: 1280x854, with 1 screen[s].
2006-01-10 19:10:28.143 Running in a window
2006-01-10 19:10:28.147 Using screen 0, 1280x781 at 0,22

etc.

If you're only getting the MythFrontend.app application then you
don't have any of the plugins (like you were complaining about
before). You'll need to either compile the plugins yourself or
download a dmg containing all the plugins like from http://
thesniderpad.com

I'm assuming you are running backend on a different machine. If you
download pre-compiled binaries you need to make sure the protocol
versions match up. If they don't, you'll see something like "Protocol
version mismatch (frontend=22,backend=15)" when trying to use a
recent SVN frontend with 0.18.1 backend.

If you are having problems establishing a connection to the backend,
make sure MySQL on your backend is accepting remote connections
(search the forums). If you can login from command line on the
machine you're running front end from (search the forums), follow the
instructions in the link you referenced to set up the database
parameters correctly in FrontEnd.

-Brad