[mythtv-users] Anyway to tune a channel > 125 on pvr-150?

Joe Votour joevph at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 10 23:39:33 UTC 2006

--- John Biundo <johnbiundo at sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> Sorry for the newbie question, and I think I know
> the answer, but I
> thought I'd ask.
>
> I can tune channel 407, which isn't even listed in
> my program lineup, on
> my "basic analog cable" package.  I use a STB -
> mainly for the program
> guide - and I'm guessing this is a feature provided
> by the STB.  I'm
> also guessing that I'm out of luck trying to get
> this channel through a
> direct connection from the cable to my pvr-150,
> right?
>
> Unfortunately, this happens to be a music TV channel
> that my kid loves...
>
> Oh well.  Thought I'd check here before writing it
> off.
>
> Cheers,
> john

The tuner on a PVR-150 is an analog tuner, meant for
receiving analog cable TV signals.  The stuff that
goes into your STB is likely a digital signal, which
contains completely different information (likely
MPEG-2 or MPEG-4 data) and would come out as gibberish
on a PVR-150.

You need to use the STB to receive the channels, and
then you can plug your STB into the composite/S-Video
and audio jacks or the coaxial input (if your STB will
output on coaxial) for a reduced quality signal.

Some cable providers, in addition to the digital
signal will also provide an analog signal that you can
tune into with the PVR-150.  However, it is highly
unlikely that they will have put the particular
channel you are looking for within the analog
spectrum.

-- Joe