[mythtv-users] Software RAID problems - the unspokenmythtvproblem?

James C. Dastrup jc at dastrup.com
Tue Jan 10 15:46:02 UTC 2006

> ...a proper server
>  setup should have more than enough bandwidth for even the largest
>  software RAID 5 setups. Note I wrote "proper server setup." By this
>  I mean a high-quality motherboard with 64-bit PCI-X or PCI Express
>  slots and multiple buses serving the expansion slots. My RAID 5
>  array is on a Supermicro X5DAL-G motherboard with two 64-bit 133MHz
>  PCI-X slots and three buses (one for each of the PCI-X slots and a
>  third for the regular PCI slots; there is a reason why 3Ware cards
>  support 64-bit PCI-X). By contrast, simply stuffing controller cards
>  and drives into the old unused consumer-grade system you have
>  sitting in the closet is not ideal. At best performance will be
>  acceptable; at worst your poor motherboard--never designed for the
>  amount of stress you're applying to its (likely single) bus by
>  sending so much data over it at once--will freak out, causing parity
>  errors.

I think the point here is that we know spending a months salary or
more will get us a superior system, which is obviously what you've
done, unless you have more creative ways of obtaining your hardware,
but myself and others believe we are just building a fancy VCR, and we
actually enjoy pushing the envelope of our older unused hardware,
and we simply enjoy the challenge. It's fun to find out how far some old
motherboard can go and what we can do for cheap. I'm much more
impressed by someone who can get MythTV up and running on some
old junk than by those that do it the "proper" way.