[mythtv-users] question about RAID

James C. Dastrup jc at dastrup.com
Tue Jan 10 15:33:37 UTC 2006

>> Don't do this.
>>
>> You shouldn't mix raidtab and mdadm
>> raidtab is obsolete with newer md. Uninstall it.
>>
>> using mdadm the above would be:
>> mdadm --create /dev/md0 --chunk=32 --level=raid0 --raid-devices=2
>> /dev/hda1 /dev/hdc1
>>
>> I suggest reading man mdadm (and why are you setting chunk to 32?)
>>
>> If you decide to go raid5 then you *must* use mdadm -F (otherwise you
>> may well miss a disk failure - it's easy to do). Of course if you use
>> raid0 this isn't important since you'll spot a drive failure as soon as
>> the system crashes ;)
>>

>> David
>
>David,
>
>do you have a good source of reading on mdadm other than the Software RAID
>HOWTO? I'm going to be setting up my RAID5 across 3 drives today and want to
>make sure I do it correctly.

Whether you use the a raidtab file and mkraid, or the mdadm command above,
the end result is exactly the same. md-based Software RAID is Software RAID,
regardless of which tools get you there. In fact, if you find a good HOWTO (are you
referring to the Gentoo HOWTO? If so, it works fine), then I suggest following it.
No sense is trying to figure it out with man pages.

In my opinion, man pages suck as a learning tool.  They are just a reference manual
if you already have an idea what you're doing, and they are written without the
intent of teaching people how to do something. How's that? Because most man
pages don't even include examples! A good HOWTO or walk-through is vastly
superior.