[mythtv-users] Comcast and Firewire 5c

Ian Forde ian at duckland.org
Tue Jan 10 07:22:04 UTC 2006

Given the recent conversations concerning firewire issues, I found it
ironic that Comcast just changed a bunch of my channels to do 5c over
firewire.  But since I have *absolutely* no desire to test each channel
to see if it works, then check the DCT-6200 menu to verify it, I did
what any decent sysadmin would do:

I replaced the task with a small shell script. ;)  Given a list of
channels in the INFILE, it generates an OUTFILE that contains which
channels it can record.  You'll need a copy of test-mpeg2.  Feel free to
modify the script for your needs... the output from the script can then
be used to remap your channels on zap2it...

	-Ian (who wonders why he didn't do this a year ago...)

#!/bin/sh

GETCH=/usr/local/src/libiec61883-1.0.0/examples/test-mpeg2
INFILE=/tmp/listofchannels.txt
OUTFILE=/tmp/chanscan.txt

cat /dev/null > ${OUTFILE}

while read channum
do
        /usr/local/bin/6200ch ${channum}
        ${GETCH} -r 2 > /tmp/testscan.${channum} &
        sleep 5
        kill -2 $!
        sizeoffile=`wc -c /tmp/testscan.${channum} | awk '{print $1}'`
        if [ ${sizeoffile} -gt 1500000 ]; then
                echo "valid channel ${channum}" >> ${OUTFILE}
        else
                echo "invalid channel ${channum}" >> ${OUTFILE}
        fi
done < ${INFILE}

	-I