[mythtv-users] question about RAID

Steve Adeff adeffs at gmail.com
Mon Jan 9 22:27:19 UTC 2006

On Monday 09 January 2006 15:59, James C. Dastrup wrote:

> >> Not exactly. A true RAID 0 (or a striped set) alternates writing each
> >> block from one disk to the other. This increases performance because 2
> >> chunks of data can be written at the same time - one chunk to disk 1,
> >> one chunk to disk2, etc.
> >>
> >> Joining partitions together, or extending a volume, is not RAID 0. This
> >> does not necessarily increase performance, because data typically won't
> >> be written to the second disk until the first is full.
> >>
> >> In both scenarios, your useable space equals all your disks combined,
> >> but only the striped set improves performance.
> >
> >So what will mdadm do? What is my best option for using 2 drives to get
> > the most speed out of them as a combined drive?
>
> mdadm does a true RAID 0

Ok, let me ask the question again...

I have 2, possibly 3, 320gig SATA drives. I want to build a RAID array that
will maximize the speed of read and writes to the array. I have no concern
with redundency because I will archive what I wish to keep to another drive.

Using mdadm or lvm2, what type or RAID setup should I use?

thanks,
Steve