[mythtv-users] Backend / Frontend advise

N Dugas normdugas at yahoo.ca
Mon Jan 9 19:00:54 UTC 2006

After having Myth running for about 6 months, I and thinking of changing
how I have it set up.  Right now, both the front and back ends are on
the same box which has a PVR-350 tuner.  What I'd like to do is this:

Make my current Myth box a backend only but also add a firewire
connection to my DCT-6412.  I then plan on setting up another Myth box
as a frontend only.  My understanding is that the frontend has lower HW
requirements.

Hardware config for my current Myth box (to become my backend) is:

Mobo: A7N8X-E Deluxe
CPU: Athlon XP 3000
RAM: 1G Dual DDR
Video: ATI Radeon 9550 w/ 256M
Disk: Seagate 200G
Lan: D-LINK DWL-G520 Wireless NIC
Connected to my 26" Samsung LCD HDTV.

I have at my disposal (to use/swap into this box if needed, based on
feedback):
GeForce FX5500 w/ 256M
Seagate 200G
Extra 512M Dual DDR stick

For my new frontend:
Mobo: MSI KT4V-L
CPU: Athlon XP 1800
RAM: 512M
Video: Whatever is left, ATI Radeon 9550 or ATI Radeon 9550
Disk: Seagate 200G
Lan: D-LINK DWL-G520 Wireless NIC

Will this work?