[mythtv-users] replaceing a Hauppage 150 with a pvr 500

Stephen Kitchener stephen at g6dzj.demon.co.uk
Mon Jan 9 10:52:58 UTC 2006

On Monday 09 Jan 2006 09:23, Marius Schrecker wrote:
> > On Saturday 07 Jan 2006 15:25, Chris wrote:
> >
> > Thanks Chris.
> >
> > RMA ready and waiting......
> >
> > Steve

> >> I had the same problem as you
> >>
> >> my card was broken, i got a new card and everything worked.
> >>
> >> from the few channels i did got a signal the quality was _bad_
> >>
> >> good tuner:
> >> http://www.siggynet.org/video2-net5.png
> >>
> >> bad tuner:
> >> http://www.siggynet.org/video1-net5.png
> >>

> >> good luch
> >>
> >> Chris

> >> it's

> There have been so many posts about bad quality on the PVR-500 recently,
> and mine isn't great either, although the difference between tuners is
> nothing like as bad as the examples posted.
>
> Also, to confuse matters, I've noticed quality differences between
> different firmware and ivtv driver versions. Way back last summer, when I
> was wondering whether to go for a 500 or a 350, I posted to the list and
> someone replied that the picture quality from the 500 was (if anything)
> better than the 350. This certainly doesn't szeem to be the current
> consensus.
>
> A couple of questions:
>
> On a "good" card, should there be any noticable difference in picture
> quality between tuners?
>
> Has anyone identified a batch/production run number for the "bad" cards?
>
> Is there any output I can use to ascertain signal strength for any given
> tuned channel? I'm still VERY disappointed at the signal quality being so
> very much worse from the 150 than directly to my cheap Viewpia lcd TV,
> this is true even if I degrade the signal to the TV by running it through
> a splitter which I remove when viewing through the 500.
>
> The only sure-fire way I can think of finding out what's going on is to
> take the whole setup to a TV repair workshop and feed it with a signal of
> known strength.
>
> Any ideas/views, before I throw away the 500 as being completely unusable?
>
> Marius

Hi Marius,

As I understand it the signal is simply split between the two tuners, so there
should be no difference between them....

Anyway, you asked for some details as to if there are any identification as to
what are the potentiality 'duff' boards, from mine I get,

On the reverse side to the tuners.
	Bar code Sticker has 1705 8055378 on it
	Part no Sticker has 5188-1035
On the Front.
	The tuners are PAL B/G-I-D/K-SECAM 23559 rev D491

I'm Running ivtv 0.4.1 if that makes any difference...and the firmware from
pvr_2.0.24.23035.zip

My 500 is going back tomorrow for replacement (10/1/06), so if there is any
more info required, shout now...

Steve