[mythtv-users] IOBOUND - blocking in ThreadedFileWriter::Write() --- WTH?

Mudit Wahal mwahal at gmail.com
Mon Jan 9 04:37:26 UTC 2006

On 1/8/06, Kevin Kuphal <kuphal at dls.net> wrote:
> Blammo wrote:
>
> >On 1/8/06, Mudit Wahal <mwahal at gmail.com> wrote:
> >

> >>elevator=cfq didnt help in my setup. I never got around to moving my
> >>recordings to jfs file system. So, I'm just using 16MB buffer and
> >>seldom had iobound problem. I added another hard drive and formatted
> >>it as xfs file system. But the recording is still on ext3.
> >>

> >I'm already running JFS, and elevator=deadline, which seemed to have
> >the best overall performance for HD playback during recording.
> >
> >It's been a while since this the thread mentioning buffer sizes was
> >started. Is there any way to modify this outside of a recompile?
> >

> No.  Are you performing comflagging on this recording while recording?
> Have you tried disabling that to see if it changes anything?
>
> Kevin

I mostly encountered it when I was doing real time comflagging along
with recording one or two shows. Once I disabled realtime comflagging
by modifying mythcommflag script, as it'll start comflagging when the
recoreding completed. But I may have started one/two more recordings.
So, the mythcommflag program will just log the programs to be
comflagged. Then a cron job will run real comflagg program when there
is no recording happening on the box and no recording is scheduled to
happen for next couple of hours. After the comflag is done, it'll set
an alarm to awake before the next recording and goto sleep :-)