[mythtv-users] Re: Multiple card issue? DVB and PVR

Randall Hopper viznut at charter.net
Mon Jan 9 01:07:15 UTC 2006

A JM:
 |I'm using a DVB-S in a FE and 2 PVR250's in a BE but am unable to view any
 |channels on the PVR250's.
 |
 |I have a couple of questions.
 |
 |1) How does Myth know what card to use when selecting a channel since I
 |don't see a 'cardid' field in the 'channel' table ?

I'm pretty new to Myth as well, but here's my perception of how it works:

                  Channels -> Input Source -> Card Input

A source is a bag of channels.  Attaching a source to a card input that has
a tuner tells Myth which channels the tuner can tune to.

You don't see a cardid in the channel table because you can assign a
channel to multiple card inputs (via input sources).  That is, the mapping
of channels to card inputs is many-to-many.

 |2) Does either particular card need to be installed first in mythtv-setup?
 |Is there some kind of pecking order?

There is a priority field (in the latest SVN version at least) on card
inputs (well, input connections, but same diff) that allows you to specify
the relative card input priorities for recording.

However, it appears for LiveTV there must be a different pecking order as
when I enter it I always get the PVR-150's tuner, never the HD-3000's DVB
tuner, regardless of input connection priority.  It happens to be the first
one created as well as the one who's source name sorts alphabetically first
so I don't know for sure why Myth choses it for LiveTV first.

Hope this helps.

Randall