[mythtv-users] question about RAID

Steve Adeff adeffs at gmail.com
Sun Jan 8 17:50:54 UTC 2006

I'm in need of setting up RAID for my recordings drive since now I'm able to
capture 2 HD + 1SD at a time, plus want to be able to do commercial flagging,
and for the time being, playback at least 1 HD stream.

I ordered 2 new harddrives which, while different than my current recordings
drive are the same size, so if needed I can use all three.

My question is, would it be better to use the onboard RAID controller on my
motherboard or the software RAID linux has?

I plan on doing a RAID0 since I'm not too worried about loosing my data, but
more worried about overall speed. I plan on backing up any recordings I want
to save to another drive (which hopefully will be a RAID5 as my next drive
project).

Thanks for the help!
--
Steve