[mythtv-users] Winfast / WinTV sound problems

David Kropman dkropman at hotmail.com
Sun Jan 8 04:50:21 UTC 2006

I have tried 2 sound cards and 2 tunercards and have same result.

Sound cards: onboard Intel8x0 and sound blaster live
Tuner cards: Leadtek winfast 2000 xp / Hauppauge WinTV GO (both have patch cable for audio)
Latest Mythtv following wilsonet.com excellent guide. (FC4)

Problem: Terrible hissing sound when I play or record TV through MythTV

When I play MP3's or TVTime the found is crystal clear, but as soon as I do recording i get an anoying hiss that sounds like way too much treble.

I am not sure of what the setting should be to try and improve the sound.

My settings in KMix are

Output: Master 75%
Input: Line 0% muted
Input: Capture 0%

I have tried Capture at 100% and makes no difference. If i unmute Line I get the sound out of sync (I expect that) but it sounds clear.

Only thing I can think of is the software is introducing the hiss.

I have bought the second card to try rule out a tv tuner issue. It happens with both sound cards.

Any help/tips would be appreciated.