[mythtv-users] Software RAID problems - the unspoken mythtv problem?

David Bennett davidbennett1979 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 7 13:08:10 UTC 2006

hello everyone,

  I am quite perplexed! Every problem I have ever encountered with
MythTV has been happily solved (and quickly too!) with this forums
help.

My current problem seems to be different! This will mark the third
time I am asking, and I have yet to receive a response. I'm wondering
if this is the dark secret of mythtv, if I am the only one
experiencing it, or if people are as clueless as to how to solve it as
I am!

Quick rundown:

Recording two programs that start at the same time without RAID: No
problem! 1yr++ ok.
When I have software raid enabled on the Video drive (doesnt matter
the combination, 2 drives, 3 drives, raid 1 or 5) I cant start
recording two programs at once. One of them comes up as an empty file.

If I start them 1 minute apart, no problem.

Usually I just get an empty file and I find out with a "B - filesize"
in MythWeb. Sometimes I get a Thread catching error in
mythbackend.log. I am at a loss as what to do!

Is this a software Raid cache thing? Is there a setting I can tweak!?
Has anyone experienced this problem!!!

thanks in advance
David