[mythtv-users] VFD support

Matthew Geier matthew at sleeper.apana.org.au
Sat Jan 7 05:46:45 UTC 2006

KBS,Inc INFO wrote:

> On to the point, I have now acquired a OrigenAE/Uneed x11 case with a VFD
> that I cant get to work. I see a few post suggesting that it is possible and
> myth has a setup screen dedicated to LCD.(so I'm guessing the prob is with
> me)

  Yep - I use it. Works, I have a Silverstone case with a Soundgraph
imon/vfd in it.

> Here's what I have done:
> Installed Lirc.imon

  At this point you should get a /dev/lcd0 device and should be able to
get things to come up by say 'echo "Hello World" > /dev/lcd0'

  Make sure you can do this before moving on.

> Installed LCDproc (from vensky)
  This just displays various 'stats' on the screen. Don't need it,
unless you want LCDproc on the display instead of Myth..

> Started LCDd service (starts w/o errors)

  When It starts, it writes a 'sign on' to the display. Does it ? LCDd
is some sort of arbitor that allows multiple programs to write to the
display. It takes over the /proc/lcd0 device and every thing else talks
to it.