[mythtv-users] Myth letterboxing 4:3 output on 16:9 tv after update to SVN

Eric Ladner eric.ladner at gmail.com
Fri Jan 6 19:16:21 UTC 2006

After a recent update from 0.18.1 to SVN, when watching live TV or
recorded shows, the display is presented in a letterboxed format
instead of full screen or bars on the left and right.

I see messages in the log like the one shown below.  I've tried
several different formats (640x480 and others) to no avail.

2006-01-06 11:52:32.081 SwitchToVideo: Video size 720 x 480: xrandr
failed for 640 x 480
2

Currently, I have the GUI and TV output running at different
resolutions to allow the TV to do it's own 4:3 non-linear stretch
mode.

Any ideas?  I've Googled it extensively and used many of the howto
guides to try to fix the problem.  I believe the base problem is that
the TV watching mode isn't getting switched to a standard NTSC mode
like it was before,

Thanks,

Eric Ladner