[mythtv-users] Strange behavior with LIRC for pause button

Paul Harrison mythtv at dsl.pipex.com
Wed Jan 4 23:36:08 UTC 2006

----- Original Message -----
From: "John Biundo" <johnbiundo at sbcglobal.net>
To: "Discussion about mythtv" <mythtv-users at mythtv.org>
Sent: Wednesday, January 04, 2006 10:34 PM
Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] Strange behavior with LIRC for pause button

> Jon Reynolds wrote:
>
>  > Hi John,
>  >
>  > Are you saying here that when you press pause that you see two
> different codes being transmitted? If so, I had the same problem and had
> to map both codes to the pause key on my remote.
>  >
>  > Jon
>
> No, sorry it's confusing to explain.  I see the same IR code coming from
>   irw (in my case, it's the string "ffff022820280004 03 pause mythtv").
>   The line prints once if I just press the Pause button once.  It prints
> multiple times if I hold down the Pause button.
>
> I guess the gist of the problem is that it appears to require multiple
> transmits of the Pause button to trigger Myth to toggle between Play and
> Pause.  The confusing part, to me, is that not only is irw showing that
> the transmission is received multiple times, but you can visually see,
> in MythTV, in the little "Play/Pause" on-screen display, that MythTV
> itself seems to be receiving the multiple transmissions.  And it's only
> when it DOES get multiple transmissions that Play/Pause is toggled.  A
> single press of the button won't toggle it.
>
> The net effect, to the Remote Control user, is that they feel like they
> need to hold down Pause for a few seconds, which is unlike any other
> button.  And the uncertainty (how long to hold it for? sometimes, if you
> hold it too short or too long, the display flickers but doesn't toggle)
> makes the operation "uncomfortable".
>
> Just strange.
>
> Thanks for the reply.
>
> Cheers,
> john

One thing that it might be worth checking is your lircrc file used by myth. You can
usually find it in ~/.mythtv/lircrc.

Look for the key that you use for pause. Mine looks like this:

# Pause
begin
prog = mythtv
button = PAUSE
repeat = 3
config = P
end

and try different values for the 'repeat' setting and see if it makes any difference.

Paul