[mythtv-users] Strange behavior with LIRC for pause button

John Biundo johnbiundo at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jan 4 21:36:15 UTC 2006

Hi all,

I'm just getting LIRC and my remote running.  I'm using an IRA serial
adapter with the IRMAN driver. With one exception, things are working fine.

The odd behavior is that the Pause button (mapped to the "P" key) seems
to have to be held down in order to work.  I can see, from running irw,
that a single key press transmits the code once, as expected.  Holding
the key down transmits it multiple times, again as expected.

On screen, the Pause/Play overlay "flickers" between "Pause" and "Play"
when you hold the key down.  Pressing the key once doesn't toggle
between Pause/Play.  Holding it down a few seconds (and observing in irw
that multiple codes are transmitted, and seeing the overlay "flicker")
DOES (somewhat) reliably toggle between Pause/Play (there seems to be an
acceptable "margin" of error for how long you hold it down -- "a few
seconds" works, more or less does not).

So it's not really a functional problem, since I *can* use the feature.
  It's just "uncomfortable" to the person using the remote.

I have this in my lircd.conf:

begin remote
   name  mythtv
   bits           64
   eps            30
   aeps          100
   one             0     0
   zero            0     0
   gap          294921
   toggle_bit      0
       begin codes
           pause                    0xFFFF022820280004
       end codes
end remote

And this in my lircrc:

# Pause
begin
	prog = mythtv
	button = pause
	repeat = 10
	config = P
end

I've tried values of 0, 1, 3, and 10 for repeat.  The behavior seems to
be the same.

Any ideas greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
john