[mythtv-users] Trouble with Install... Gave up unless help can be given. :(

R. Geoffrey Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Tue Jan 3 18:14:17 UTC 2006

On Sun, 01 Jan 2006 21:09:55 -0500, Aaron wrote:

>so I downloaded the thing from lirc.org directly (second link down)
>[http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/lirc/lirc-0.7.2.tar.gz] (647 kB
>released: 14-Aug-2005).  I went through the ./configure and save and
>install..  then the make and make install.  During configuration, I
>chose the USB, and the soundgraph imon/vfd selection.  It informed me
>that I needed to use the lirc_imon module.  I edited modprobe.conf and
>added that line to the very top (first entry) of the file and rebooted.

You should load the lirc_dev module and then the lirc_imon module.

>I then ran the executable scripts to initialize the port and driver,
>which worked fine.  When I did the 'ls -l /dev/li*' it identified there
>was a device present.  I then ran 'irrecord' and was able to
>send/receive signals.  I programmed the file 'myremote' as per the
>official mythtv.org document, and copied it to the /etc/lirc.conf file,
>overwriting it.  This is where my next problem came.  I ran 'irw' as per
>documented to see if I could get any commands to display.  IRW executed
>and dropped a line down, but then did nothing.  It appeared to be
>frozen.  I hit CONTROL+C to cancel, and it dropped another line before
>displaying the prompt.  I opened up /var/log/messages and saw that the
>port was closed as soon as I ran IRW.  I thought it might have been
>something wrong with access rights, but I did all the appropriate steps
>(chmod or whatever it is).
>
>QUESTION #2 -> What am I doing wrong?  What am I missing?

You are probably using the wrong lirc.conf file.
The remote which came with my Silverstone LC11M is actually the iMon-PAD
remote.
If you stop lircd and run mode2 you will be able to see the raw codes.
Browse the lirc.conf files and check that you are getting the same codes
in your lirc.conf file.

Also make sure that the *names* of the keys in your lirc.conf file are
exactly the same as the names in the lircrc file.

The remote sends a code, say "1234fedc" to the hardware. Lircd uses the
lirc.conf file to match that to 'ChannelUP'. 'ChannelUp' gets parsed by
lircrc and translated variously depending on the program which you are
running (xine, mplayer, mythtv etc.).

If the two files are ChannelUP and Channel+ or even ChannelUp, things will
not work properly.

Geoff
R. Geoffrey Newbury                          newbury at mandamus.org
Barrister and Solicitor                         Telephone: 905-271-9600
Mississauga,Ontario, Canada              Facsimile:   905-271-1638