[mythtv-users] What Windows codec do I need to play avi's from mythencode?

Kirk Grell kirkgrell at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 3 15:57:33 UTC 2006

I've converted some nuv files to avi's using
mythencode, but I can't seem to play them on my
Windows machine.  I've tried various codecs
(DivX521XP2K, ffdshow, ffvfw, XviD-1.0.3), but Windows
Media Player still won't play them.  The avi's from
mythencode appear to be "VIDEO: [FMP4]" format.  Any
idea where I can get a codec for Windows that'll play
that kind of avi?  Or, is there something I'm supposed
to do on the Linux side (like patch mencoder or
something) to get a more standard format (like XVID)
when I run mythencode.pl?

I have downloaded 'mplayer' for Windows and it will
let me view the the avi's, but that doesn't help me
cuz I need the codecs actually installed on the system
so that other programs besides Windows Media Player
can use them.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Kirk