[mythtv-users] fc4.ppc, Mac Mini and MythTV

Matt Hannan matthannan1 at cox.net
Mon Jan 2 21:14:31 UTC 2006

Brad DerManouelian wrote:
>> iTunes has MANY down sides. I no longer have it running even on my
>> Windows systems, and, obviously, my Mac is now a Penguin.
>> I do not feel I can support any software that insists on telling me
>> how I can handle my data files, mp3s included. I should be the
>> ultimate master of how my systems run, not the other way around.
>

> Ok, so nothing specific. Just a general "I don't like it because I
> don't like it" or "I don't like it because I didn't read enough to
> figure out how to become the 'ultimate master' of my data files with
> iTunes". I can accept that.
No, I played with iTunes for months. My first Mac is this Mini. I have
read. And read. And read. Like I said, I had it working with an NFS
share for my server, which is also my mythbackend machine. And sure, I
don't like iTunes. Sue me for saying it. ;-) I'd rather use XMMS, to
tell you the truth.

>> I was running iTunes off of an NFS share, but I want the WHOLE
>> MythTV experience. Playing music meant exiting Myth and launching
>> iTunes.
>> http://www.mythtv.info/moin.cgi/MythOnMacOsx
>> No Music support.
>> My OS X finally went buggy, so I loaded FC4 hoping for media center
>> nirvana.
>
> Went buggy. OK...
I think this had A LOT to do with fink. I was trying to get XMMS
running, but had zero positive results. Then Software Update stopped
working. Then iTunes stopped working. So here I am with FC4. I will
reload Tiger if I have to, but I am trying to get a full-boat MythTV
system running, which is just not going to happen under OS X.

>> Maybe it isn't there yet.
>
> MythTV is still pre-1.0 release, you know.
I have been MythTVing since about 0.13. Whatever was current at RH7.2.
It has come a long way, and I am just looking to get feedback from Mac
Mini users. It all seems to be sound related.

>> Basically, this is not a massive issue, but rather a configuration
>> question.
>> MythMusic issues static, WatchTV blows up, Watch Recordings does  the
>> same. Pretty much the core three things I love MythTV for!
>>
>> Let's stay on topic, folks. This is not an iTunes issue, but rather
>> a MythTV one.
>>
>> I will look into that /dev/adsp, but I do not seem to have that as
>> an option in mythsetup or frontend utilities. Are you successfully
>> running MythTV on a Mac?
>
> I'm running Front end on 3 Macs under OS X, but just for recorded
> shows and live TV. Your issue isn't a Mac issue. It's a FC4/Mac
> hardware issue, so I can only guess at what's wrong. I based my /dev/
> adsp hunch on what I saw in my x86 FC4 setup.

Granted. MythTV under OS X was nice, but it did not include support for
music. Kill me for rather listening to music than watching TV.

>> Am I really the only one running MythTV on a Mac Mini? It seems  from
>> the Google searches that I would be a late-comer.
>
> You're likely the only one wanting to run MythMusic on a mini with
> FC4 instead of OS X. Others will learn from your experiences. :)

Again, granted. That is why this thread has" fc4.ppc" in its subject! I
seriously doubt I am the only wanting this functionality. If so, I am
now the Geek King of the World, which I seriously doubt. Once the
holidays are over, I am willing to bet that I get an actual answer to
this. Timing is everything, and New Years is not the right time!

>> Again, Happy New Year to all and thanks for the replies.
>>
>> Matt
>
> -Brad

Matt