[mythtv-users] Wireless Keyboard Questions -- Belkin MediaPilot worth it?

Dewey Smolka dsmolka at gmail.com
Mon Jan 2 15:29:25 UTC 2006

Happy New Year all,

I went and made the dumbass mistake of buying a marked-down wireless
keyboard at Microcenter the other day (that makes 4 of 6 (IIRC) marked
down or closeout items I've bought there that were incompatible or
broken). It's a Belkin F8E832-BNDL.

So I plugged it in and nothin' happened. Both the keyboard and the
mouse were signalling transmission but the reciever showed nothing.
There's a purple PS/2 keyboard plug and a USB with a green mouse PS/2
adapter. I tried it with both PS/2s and with USB-only, per the
instructions, but it just sat there lifeless.

I called Belkin support, and their answer was "we don't support
Linux." I asked him if the transmitter was transparent, and if the
devices were handled by standard PS/2 drivers. He said they don't
support Linux. So I asked him how I could figure out if the
transmitter was working or not and he said they don't support Linux.

Anyway, the transmitter's not working, and it's my own damn fault for
buying an "orange ticket" item to save a few bucks.

So I've got to return it. I really like the looks of the Belkin MediaPilot
http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0228206
but am a little remiss about Belkin based on their tech support.

I know the MediaPilot is USB, and I've seen a few acounts of people
running them for Myth. Anyone have any first hand experience with this
piece? Anyone have anything positive (or negative) about Belkin
products in general?

Anyone have any recommendations for a small wireless keyboard,
preferably with built-in pointer?