[mythtv-users] ALSA:default on an intel8x0 - no sound

Jonathan Markevich mythtv at jonandtina.net
Sun Jan 1 19:50:48 UTC 2006

Hi, I'm struggling with a Myth-specific sound issue.  I just bought a cool
Logitech X-530 surround speaker set for my mythbox, and excitedly set it
up.  I got Xine working fine playing DVDs with great surround, but Myth
refuses to accept the parameters that *should* accept surround.

[To begin with, I searched the archive and google extensively with the
following words: (mythtv surround intel8x0 alsa alsa:default "no sound" hw
plug) so please don't just tell me to search]

I have no real .asoundrc.  I *did* set up this:

pcm.!default {
  type plug
  slave.pcm "surround51"
}

Which works great with some 6-channel .wav files in aplay.

I set up ALSA:default in Myth and get NO sound at all.  ALSA:surround51 does
the same.  ALSA:hw:0,0 works, but ignores my back speakers.

I also set up OSS emulation, IIRC, surround just won't go through OSS at
all:

pcm.dsp0 {
  type plug
  slave.pcm "surround51"
}

Again, the hardware+system seem to work fine, given the right parameters...
I can't figure out the right parameters to give Myth (nor where it's
documented)

Any pointers?