[mythtv-users] Myth-TV easy beginner question

jon fuller bigdog6286 at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 28 23:17:56 UTC 2006

My other concern is that my card is a ATI HDTV Wonder card.  From what I read Fedora may be best for this?  Has anyone actually used this card with success?

Raphael Pooser <rpooser at gmail.com> wrote:  jon fuller wrote:
> I'm currently thinking of turning one of my systems into a myth tv,
> but I have a lot of questions which variation of linux is it best to
> put mythtv on? Does Knoppmythtv present any advantage? I've played
> with a few distros and find each has its own advantage disadvantage
> and I'd like to install the best distro for this application.
>
> Thanks,
> Jon

Each one has it's own ups and downs as you say. Fedora Core has the
advantage of being very widely used, by many on this list, and so people
will be able to help you with distro specific problems as well I would
imagine. Also if you go FC4 there is Jarod Wilson's guide that you can
apply directly, which a lot of people use and quote in here.
Knoppmyth is another type of beast. You do have the whole Knoppmyth
wiki which is an advantage to have in addition to the regular myth
wiki. The main advantage of this one is that it walks you through the
mythtv setup and configuration as much as possible, and automates what
it can. Also nice is the inclusion of the packages in the distro
itself, so you know it will work and you don't have to hunt around for
them or compile from source if you're not comfortable with linux to that
extent yet. I tried knoppmyth and mythtv was displaying video for me
after about 25 minutes.
It seems that Knoppmyth is the way to go for a first stab at least if
you're worried about the actual mythtv installation process.
Drivers for your hardware are a different story for any distro of
course. That was/is my main source of problems. Mythtv itself doesn't
cause any of the problems I have had or do have with my system.
I use Ubuntu because all but my graphics card worked the best out of the
box on this distro. It's got a nice wiki and intuitive docs.
There's debian which is Ubuntu's base. It's pretty easy to get mythtv
installed in debian because the packages are maintained.
My advice for starting out would be to try out Knoppmyth and see if it
just works by some stroke of luck. For good documentation and a large
userbase with lots of support, go with FC4. Of course, if have good
linux experience, really any distro will do and it comes down to your
own preference (and who has the kernel you want if you don't plan on
upgrading it after installing, but that's not hard to do at all either).
Raphael