[mythtv-users] New Mac Mini, ultimate MythTV HD frontend?

Todd Ignasiak ignasiak at gmail.com
Tue Feb 28 20:57:32 UTC 2006

On 2/28/06, Trey Boudreau <trey at treysoft.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 28, 2006 at 02:33:55PM -0500, Tom Dombrosky wrote:

> > > According to the Intel specs, yes:
> > >
> > >         http://www.intel.com/products/chipsets/gma950/
> > >
> > > Intel has had notoriously bad drivers for their graphics chipsets in
> the
> > > Windows world.  Let's hope Apple wrote their own :-)
> >
> > Don't the intel drivers not work with video over 1440 in linux?  I think
> > remember seeing that somewhere on this mailing list.
> >
> It seems like older versions of the chipset might not handle 1080i
> video.  The datasheet seems to indicate that the 950 does.  I couldn't
> find the programming manual for it on the Intel site, so I can't say for
> sure.

Yeah, they clearly claim 1080i/p support on that web page.  It'll be
interesting to see how it really performs.

Two other video questions I have:

- What is "High Definition Content Decode - up to two stream support" from
their datasheet??   I assume their not talking about MPEG decoders, like in
the Unichrome..  Given the otherwise weak MPEG2 offload capabilities (MC
support, but no iDCT).   Is this anything real, or just marketing-speak for
something less exciting?

- Is the 950 'Core Video' capable, to support all the MacOS GUI effects, and
interesting video processing capabiltiies?    I suspect 'yes', given the
specs about Dx9 support and Pixel Shaders.