[mythtv-users] Optimising a diskless frontend

Xebian Mythfrontend xebian.mythfrontend at gmail.com
Tue Feb 28 11:23:41 UTC 2006

>Incidentally how are you automatically mounting your Samba shares?  Is
>there as way to get around passwords in fstab?  Guess there is always
>Kerberos but the thought of having to set that up on my mythtv box just
>to run a samba share is not one I relish.

You can automatically mount a samba share in the following way. Add

//server/share    /mountpoint    smbfs
credentials=/location/of/credentials    0    0

to /etc/fstab. Make the credentials file contain only the following two
lines

username=xx
password=yy

with the appropriate username and password of course. Make sure that
that file is not readable by everybody (just root will be fine in most
cases).

regards,
Robert