[mythtv-users] SSH break in attempt this morning using mythtv user

Deyan Bektchiev mythtv at bektchiev.net
Tue Feb 28 05:45:24 UTC 2006

Michael Fox wrote:
> On 2/28/06, Jason Gillis <jgillis at acm.org> wrote:
>
>> Luckily, I was smart enough to not allow mythtv to log into the system via
>> ssh.  (Those times are Pacific time, by the way, so those would have been at
>> around 10:08 AM your time in Texas.)
>>

> Or atleast have a password other then something like "password". I
> allow mythtv user to logon in via ssh personally, but it has a
> password other then something like "password".
>
> Although I probably shouldn't allow it to ssh, and then just su to
> mythtv as I need to.
Or you could disallow password login altogether and require public key
authentication. This way you need something you know - the key password
and something you have - the key file itself.

Of course you need to carry the key with you, but these days cell phones
double as storage so it's not that inconvenient.

Dejan