[mythtv-users] knopp-myth + mplayer Q

yan seiner yan at seiner.com
Mon Feb 27 21:05:24 UTC 2006

Cecil Watson wrote:

>>OK, thanks.... I've never run across that in the mplayer docs, but I
>>must not have looked too closely....   There is no codecs dir on either
>>of my knopp-myth boxes, so I figured that they chose a different
>>location....
>>

>http://mplayerhq.hu/homepage/design7/info.html#docs
>

>>>However, you have to recompile MPlayer to take advantage of additional
>>>codecs.
>>>

>>Bah humbug!  That's what I was trying to avoid....
>>

>So I should include support for every codec under the sun and become the
>possible target of a lawsuit?  No thanks.

OK, perhaps the humor got lost in the email.... I certainly meant no
offense and I understand perfectly that you must limit your  scope
otherwise bad things will happen.

I have a self-compiled version of mencoder on one box; videos produced
on this box won't play due to codec incompatibility on the KnoppMyth
boxen.  The "Bah humbug" was for me; I was hoping to just copy the
codecs from the recording box to the frontends, without having to build
new versions of software.

I won't bore you with the long saga of my computer frustrations over the
last three weeks; suffice it to say that pretty much everything that
could go wrong, has, and I've finally this morning gotten all my
frontends and backend rebuilt and stable, videos off the backup drive,
and find that some won't play because the codecs are different...

On the bright side, I get to build mplayer with support for xmga and
AthlonXP...

--Yan