[mythtv-users] Is it me or is it Myth?

raptorjr raptorjr at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 27 20:49:23 UTC 2006

Thank you for the answer. I do understand that this will never happend.
But for the record i will give my view on the subject, and maybe some day
a person with coding knowledge is searching through the list and finds
my input as good, and makes the patch.

In my point of view, i'm thinking Myth should be easy for people that don't
know anything about whats inside the box. Yes, for the user who installed
the system it is easy to know and switch card/input to see other channels.
For anyone else they will puch up or down a channel and start browsing
and they don't know anything about different tv-sources, and they shouldn't
have to.

Since zapping is out of the question, browsing is the next best thing. And
why do people zap through channels or browse? Because they want a fast way
to see whats on right now. Using the EPG is fine for some thing. But it is
too much information
if you in a few seconds wants to find out what the other channels is showing
rigth now.

I do understand that if the status of channels on other cards should be
shown in the browse
mode it would require much coding since the status could change while
browsing.

But i don't think that it should have to be that complicated. Simply show
all channels and if the
user try to switch to a channel/card that is recording show the same message
that is shown
today when you try to enter LiveTV and the card is recording. And after that
last selected channel.
No need to care if a card stops recording while browsing. If it was
recording when the browsing
started and then ends the user will be able to change channel if desired,
otherwise the message
will show.

I would think this behaviour is easier to understand, and more logical to
the normal user(wife, girlfriend, children).
And everyone should understand the message "The card containing this channel
is currently recording,
please choose another channel". Getting a little more advanced, if the
channel selected is the same
as the card is recording it could start playing. But that is a little
overkill.

Sure i know it requires some coding, but it should be a easier approach than
the one in the ticket
that Mike refered to in his answer. And sure, i understand that a developer
needs to find this useful
to make the changes. Unfortunately i dont have the knowledge to do this. But
atleast have
have given my view of the matter. And maybe someone like it. If you don't
like it please dont rip my
head of just because i have a suggestion without a patch.

On another matter, since Mike seems to have great knowledge about Myth. My
last question about
that Myth should remember the last channel viewed independent of which card
the channels was on?
Is that also a accepted behaviour, or could it be subject to a change? Dont
know, but guessing that
the coding needed for this is not as much as my prevous suggestion. And
maybe this could be a good
behaviour for the developers to?

Anyway, i keep my fingers crossed =)