[mythtv-users] SA3250 firewire fading solutions?

Len Reed crunchyfrog at charter.net
Mon Feb 27 16:17:27 UTC 2006

Michael Haan wrote:
> Firewire is coming along nicely - love that I can change channels and
> setup is mostly effortless.  Tuning/playback works quite well.  My only
> complaint is that after successfully watching off of firewire, the next
> time I try to use it, it's as if the port has shut down.  To get it
> working I have to try various things like restart myth, or bounce the
> box.  Does anyone else see this and/or have a solution?

Sometimes capture just doesn't work for me.  It either works -- and
recordds the entire show -- or fails utterly.

To work around this, I don't actually bounce the box or mythbackend; the
follwing stupid little script seems to fix the problem.  Note that when
I run it with mythbackend running, it complains that raw1394 and iee1394
modules are in use; I just ignore those errors.  (If the backend isn't
running, of course, all the modules unload.)  It also sets the dct-6200
to channel 781, which won't apply to you.

My firewire card is base on the VIA chip, which -- rumor has it -- is
inferior to the TI chip for Linux at least.  Some day I may replace this
board, but firewire is a backup to my main HD5000 HDTV recording, so it
only comes into play when I want to record two HDTV shows
simultaneoulsy, which is maybe once a week.  (Oh, BTW, the HD5000 works
perfectly for me on QAM256, and requires lower signal strength than
either the cable box or my TV.  I highly recommend the card.)

FWIW, channel-changing by firewire is rock-solid.  It's only cpature
that is flakey.  My machine is a dual-core Athlon64 3800+, FC4 x86_64,
January time-frame SVN mythtv.

#!/bin/sh
# Reset ie1394 modules

rmmod dv1394