[mythtv-users] DVD Rip/Transcoder questions

James Pifer jep at obrien-pifer.com
Mon Feb 27 14:05:27 UTC 2006

> Also, you can supposedly rip a dvd with lesser quality so that the
> ending file size is significantly smaller. Where is that controlled? I
> assume it depends on the encoding and the size? 720x480, 480x480,
> (smaller?), etc? Is that what I see in mythtvsetup looking at the
> TRANSCODER settings?

Think I see partial answers to my questions:
Options available are dependant on the DVD inserted
      * Perfect : Available for all Discs. Makes an exact copy of the
        MPEG file
      * Excellent : 4:3 and 16:9 non-letterboxed Only. Transcode the
        MPEG file at a high bitrate. Resultant files size is approx 2GB
      * Good : All Other . Transcode the MPEG file at average bitrate.
        Resultant file size is approx 800MB

So if I understand this correctly, the only option for a letter boxed
movie is Perfect?

James