[mythtv-users] libfreetype install issue

William wmunson at rochester.rr.com
Sun Feb 26 14:56:29 UTC 2006

> I have a dependency that needs to be installed but am not
> sure if I just
> need to force it to install, or not. The dependency is
> "libfreetype6_2.1.9-1%5f4.rhfc3.at_i386.rpm" and I believe that it is
> needed to install the x server on this box. When I go to install it I
> get the following error.
>
> Install failed :
>
>     file /usr/lib/libfreetype.so.6.3.7 from install of
> libfreetype6-2.1.9-1_4.rhfc3.at conflicts with file from package
> freetype-2.1.9-1

The short answer is yes, force the package. What appears to have happened is
that you installed freetype from one repository and its looking for
basically the same package from another repo. The ones ending in rhfc3.at
are the ones you want to use with a mythtv install. Both are 2.1.9-1 so you
should not see any difference between them. I have found that using
"synaptic" as a gui for apt is a real saver. With it's force feature you can
actually see which repo's have your software and their version info. Its
also a time saver when you want to install the header info for packages as
part of trying to build your own mythtv install.