[mythtv-users] .19 -lGL issue

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Sun Feb 26 10:11:33 UTC 2006

On Feb 26, 2006, at 2:59 AM, Robert Denier wrote:

> The test system was a standard .18.1 system running gentoo linux on
> an amd
> cpu.  I can submit more details later if needed.
>
> emerge -pv mythtv-0.19-r1.ebuild
>
> yields the following:
>
> [snip]
>
> [ebuild     U ] media-tv/mythtv-0.19-r1 [0.18.1-r2] +alsa (-
> altivec) +arts
> -dbox2 -debug -dvb +dvd +frontendonly -ieee1394 -jack -joystick -
> lcd +lirc
> +mmx -nvidia +oggvorbis -opengl* +oss -unichrome 0 kB
> [ebuild  N    ] x11-themes/mythtv-themes-0.19  0 kB
>
> Yes, I have deliberately put in a -opengl USE variable since I was
> getting an
> error related to opengl when I tried to emerge it originally.
> Unfortunately,
> even with the USE keyword I get a log that ends with the partial
> emerge log
> that follows at the end.
>
> I'm reasonably certain that if I had used a standard xorg ebuild
> then this
> probably wouldn't have happened since i emerged it sucessfully on
> another
> machine, but I was using an ATI radeon 7000 video card in this
> machine that I
> had built xorg with patches to support its tv output feature.
>
> I suppose the question is, whether or not opengl is required for
> myth, and if
> so, then I guess that USE keyword is not something you can disable.

While I don't know the answer to your specific problem I can tell you
that you can emerge and run MythTV without opengl (-opengl), at least
with 0.18.1.

In fact, the Gentoo "Howto install MythTV" suggests doing this if you
run into the "high cpu load" problem with nVidia drivers.

Obviously you will not be able to use XvMC, OpenGL-Vsync etc.

I don't see a bug reported on this on Gentoo's bugzilla, you might
consider reporting it there.