[mythtv-users] Solutions to tuning issues

Kichigai Mentat kichigai at comcast.net
Sun Feb 26 05:49:16 UTC 2006

On Feb 25, 2006, at 16.04, Michael T. Dean wrote:

> On 02/24/2006 11:03 PM, Kichigai Mentat wrote:
>> I'm having trouble tuning some channels. I've been trying to fine-
>> tune
>> a lot of them, but with at least 70 channels, it's quite a tedious
>> and
>> annoying task. I'm looking into possible solutions. At the moment,
>> I'm
>> using analog cable connected to a PVR-150.
>
> Sounds like your cable company is using HRC and you're not.  In
> Myth you
> can specify the frequency table to use for tuning.  Try us-ntsc-hrc
> (or,
> if not in the US/not using NTSC, choose an appropriate frequency
> table).
I'm not too sure about that. Most of the channels are tuning in fine,
but there's a handful of channels that I just can't seem to tune
properly.

>> At the moment, the most logical option is to get a digital cable box
>> (we have a digital cable service for the other two TVs in the house),
>> and just connect it to the PVR-150 through S-Video, and using either
>> the IR-Blaster in the PVR-150, a serial IR-blaster, or a direct
>> serial
>> connection, to work the digital cable box.
>
> That's one (rather brute force) approach...
Well, I'm not sure I understand the "brute force" part, just
wondering if you could explain that a little more. But, I'm
wondering, what would be your approach to this? As I understand it,
besides enhancing the analog tuning, that's the other option. I would
be interested in looking into tuning some of the digital cable
channels, but it's not a deal breaker.

>> But I rather dislike working with LIRC. It's always rubbed me the
>> wrong way. and I've always considered the possibility of getting a
>> High-Def cable box, and using the FireWire port on it to record the
>> data. But I'm using an XBox as a Front-End, and we only have Standard
>> Definition televisions. The back-end is a low powered Celeron 650 MHz
>> with 256 MB of RAM. Is there a way to have a high-def cable box scale
>> down to something like 480p, that the XBox could be able to play this
>> back?
>
> You could auto-transcode after recording.  Then, 4-16 hours after
> recording a 1-hour TV show (depending on hardware), you could watch
> it.
> (In other words, you don't want to do this.)
No, I really don't want to do this. That's why I was hoping that the
cable box could scale it down.

>> Or am I just better off messing with LIRC and learning the lingo?
>
> Yep.  Learning is always good.
Yeah, I probably should get around to learning that.

>> However, I'd be willing to settle for letting MythTV just simply do
>> automatic fine-tuning adjustments, like a cable-ready TV sets do.
>> I've
>> heard this system is available, but I've been as yet unable to find
>> it. I'm running KnoppMyth R5A30.
>
> I don't think there's any way to do this.  You're probably confusing
> analog fine-tuning with digital TV channel scanning or something...
Well, if you mean digital scanning of TV channels, yes. If you mean
tuning of digital channels, you're wrong. I'd love an auto-fine-
tuning system for MythTV, and I think it would be quite useful for
some people.