[mythtv-users] High CPU consumption recording MJPEG

mythtv at zacglen.com.au mythtv at zacglen.com.au
Sun Feb 26 00:27:25 UTC 2006

If I use lavrec (mjpegtools) to record a program from my Matrox G400 I get
less than 1% cpu usage. However when I record using Mythtv the cpu consumption
goes up to over 90%.

Why would that be? Surely MythTV would/should simply transfer the MJPEG
frames into the container of its choice (ie. NuppelVideo?), and only
perform a conversion if absolutely necessary. There is often absolutely no
need to convert from MJPEG to anything in software for playback
either (when using lavplay for example).

And why isn't there a simple configuration file which can be used to set
up relevent command lines for various activities (like recording,
playback, etc)?

And why isn't a simple, well supported, video format like avi used
(or an extension of it)? If the issue is timecode then avi can handle it
in a compatible manner.