[mythtv-users] Button feedback in Myth UI

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sat Feb 25 21:45:11 UTC 2006

On 02/24/2006 10:25 PM, Steve Dorsey wrote:
> On Feb 24, 2006, at 4:48 PM, Ross Campbell wrote:
>> On 2/24/06, Steve Dorsey <info at dorseygraphics.com> wrote:
>>
>>> your solution works great, except that it does not beep when I
>>> FFWD or RW
>>> during playback or live TV. The aplay app stores the keypresses
>>> and plays
>>> them back when I jump back into a MythTV menu.
>>>
>>> beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep beep
>>> beep beep beep beep beep beep
>>>
>> That's because alsa:default as a sound device doesn't support playing
>> multiple sounds at the same time.

If only it were that simple...

The default "ALSA:default" device on some sound cards (i.e. SoundBlaster
Live! and any other "hardware" sound cards) allows multiple applications
to output to the sound card simultaneously on ALL versions of ALSA.

The default "ALSA:default" device on all sound cards (even "software"
sound cards like the NVIDIA NForce2 and other intel8x0-based cards)
allows multiple applications to output to the sound card simultaneously
on ALSA 1.0.9 and above.

If the user re-defines the "ALSA:default" device in his/her ALSA
configuration, whether multiple applications are allowed to output to
the sound card simultaneously depends on the sound card and the user's
custom definition of "ALSA:default".

>>  It should be possible using either
>> alsa mixer or jack to allow mixing sounds for playback to a single
>> device.
>>

> So the only thing that makes it possible is the fact that alsa mixer
> is installed? If I install alsa mixer (and adjust it properly) then
> I'll be able to play back audio from 2 sources simultaneously?

Actually, it just requires upgrading your ALSA to 1.0.9+ or configuring
your ALSA properly (which works whether using ALSA 1.0.9+ or not).

http://mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Configuring_Digital_Sound#Setting_up_ALSA.27s_.asoundrc.2C_Properly
(even if you're not using digital sound).

Mike