[mythtv-users] Slow keyboard response over network

Joseph A. Caputo jcaputo1 at comcast.net
Sat Feb 25 15:48:14 UTC 2006

Isaac Richards wrote:

>On Friday 24 February 2006 17:13, Joseph A. Caputo wrote:
>

>>Just wanted to add a data point here...
>>
>>(refs ticket #1381: http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/1381 )
>>
>>I realize the ticket was closed due to remote X display not being a
>>supported configuration, which is true... mostly.  Remote X display is
>>most definitely desireable and/or necessary for running mythtv-setup on
>>a headless backend machine.  I can confirm that (for me, at least),
>>running mythtv-setup on a remote X display gives abysmally slow screen
>>drawing and event response times (like, hit down-arrow, wait 15+
>>seconds, see screen *slowly* refresh, etc...).
>>
>>I don't know if it's a Qt thing or a Myth/Qt thing, but I just thought
>>I'd point out that remote X display isn't *completely* avoidable in
>>Myth.
>>

>I pretty commonly export mythtv-setup to another machine, and don't see this
>at all.
>
>Isaac

Yeah, I'm sure it has more to do with the specifics of a given setup
(network speed, X connection spefics [xauth method, for example, and
various ssh options] than anything Myth-related.  I was more about
making the point that "worksforme" is a more acceptable reason to close
the ticket than "remote X display is not a supported configuration".
Maybe someday I'll investigate what makes this situation happen and add
it to the wiki.

-JAc