[mythtv-users] Distro that will install to SATA

Yan Seiner yan at seiner.com
Sat Feb 25 15:26:20 UTC 2006

Ben Bargabus wrote:

>Hello All,
>I've been reading this list for quite a while and finally bought
>hardware for my first install.  Unfortunately it appears that I made
>incorrect assumptions that linux would get along well with sata (oops).
>It appears that the debian net install won't mount a sata dvd drive so
>it can't find the files it's attempting to install (fun!).  Does anyone
>know of a distro that will install via a sata dvd drive (Plextor
>px-716-sa) to a sata hdd (seagate 500GB baracuda).  I'd rather learn
>from someone else's experience than spend the next week downloading
>various distros.

My only experience has been with debian installs:

You must install the 2.6 kernel.  The drives are detected as /dev/hd??
but will boot as /dev/sd??....

So you must provide a root=/dev/sd?? once the kernel is installed to
boot the system.  Then you can go and change lilo/grub to have the
correct boot parameter.

Except for that, install was straightforward....

--Yan