[mythtv-users] SOLVED System Load/Performance Question

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Sat Feb 25 04:38:56 UTC 2006

On Feb 24, 2006, at 9:23 PM, mrwester wrote:

> You say you can't change the latency for the IDE system, what happens
> when you run setpci? Does it seem to work and just not set the value?
>
> Correct.   with my nforce2 mobo, I can set latency for capture
> cards, but see same thing as Bob with regards to IDE interfaces and
> bridges...  Mike

My next question is whether the problem is in the setting or in the
reading. You may in fact be setting the value but some problem with
lspci's interaction with the chipset is reporting zeros incorrectly.

I'm going to try and come up with some method of measuring the actual
performance, then see if it changes when I change the values on my
Tehama board, which reports zeros as your nforce2 does. That
machine's idle at the moment so I can dink around with it.

So far everyone seems to have assumed that the "setting" is the
problem, which may in fact be true, but we don't have any proof of
that yet. setpci doesn't report an error, so either setpci or lspci
is behaving badly.